Thursday, May 30, 2013

Magnum Stolen Kiss, Tarte Aux Pommes

There are five new Magnums on the UK ice cream scene, and they all look nice, sure, if not a little bit forward.

I say that because all of them are named after styles of kisses, for some reason.

First Kiss, the first one, is Creme Brulee inspired, with custard ice cream and caramel sauce & pieces, covered in milk chocolate. I'm not reviewing that one.

Loving Kiss is 'cream' ice cream, red fruit sauce with bits of cranberry and meringue, covered in dark chocolate. Not reviewing that ever because I don't like any of the bits, and I have my suspicions about 'cream' flavored ice cream.

Passionate Kiss is Tiramisu style, mascarpone flavored ice cream, coffee sauce with chunks of chocolate and sponge covered in milk chocolate. This one sounds very nice, but things are starting to get a bit saucy with these names. I guess tiramisu is a romantic dessert, what with the ladyfingers and the booze.

Flirty Kiss sounds excellent. Chocolate ice cream, chocolate sauce, and chocolate brownie pieces slathered in milk chocolate. Since I've been eating less badly (you might've noticed less blog posts! a symptom of trying to curb sweets) I've been really craving chocolate, so this sounds delicious.

What I'm reviewing today though, is Stolen Kiss, which seems like the clear winner for least likely flavor, and potentially nicest. Tarte aux pommes inspired, which is Fancy for apple pie. So it is vanilla ice cream, apple sauce, nutmeg pastry pieces, and covered in white chocolate dusted with cinnamon. So cinnamon flavored white chocolate.

I understand that these come in a mini-pack as well, but I got the full-size bar from a Tesco freezer. They only had Stolen Kiss, though. Do they do a mini-pack of all 5? It would be a shame if they didn't.
The box was nice, kept the ice cream safer than your standard plastic-y wrap, but it was a bit silly that the only thing that kept it closed was a Magnum sticker at the front. It worked, but I couldn't help but wonder if a lot of them would get busted open in transport.

Pretty attention grabbing color scheme as well, but I almost walked right past it because I thought it was just a mint Magnum in a box. I guess it came between apples and 'red' fruits, who would be able to use a red color sceme. Red fruits must've won.

 Maybe the brown should've been white, though? Since it is white chocolate-and it would further differentiate it from the mint Magnum.
I ate this on the train, haha. It was pretty difficult to take a picture, but I think this shows pretty well the flecked white chocolate, a peak of a pastry piece or two, and in between the ice cream and the white chocolate, the apple sauce. Don't let that description fool you though, it isn't apple sauce, it is like apple pie filling...or for those of you who don't know about pie filling in cans, imagine simmering down apples with sugar and liquid. There are bits of actual apple, but it is mostly a thick sauce type thing flavored like apples. It tastes like the innards of apple pie.

 The white chocolate was decently spiced with cinnamon, and since it is so sweet naturally it is really a perfect balance. I really like the white chocolate Magnum uses, it is very creamy and buttery- this just adds some sweet spice to it.

The pastry pieces were spicy, soft, crumbly, and plentiful. The ice cream was the good stuff, really premium for an ice cream bar which is kind of Magnum's thing, I suppose!

All in all, it tasted like apple pie a la mode. If you like the sound of that, you have to get one of these. Forget all about the Ben & Jerry's version, it's is nowhere near as nice as this. The Ben & Jerry's tasted mostly like vanilla ice cream, with a bitsy amount of mix-ins, where as this one tastes like apple pie with a big scoop of ice cream.

Just a matter of balance, and I think the Magnum bar is a lot more interesting and a much better interpretation of apple pie. I want to try the rest of these for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment